Saturday, August 07, 2010

dinner and dessert

VEGAN STYLE


One of the first things people say when I say I'm a Vegan! is, "what do you eat..." like everything in this world is made-up of animal products smh true most of the JUNK out there is but when you make a choice to give up meat and all things that come from animals, you will find the true meaning of Eating Well some of the BEST meals in my life have been right here in my very own kitchen! I know what I'm using and what I'm EATING mainly is the reason, I feel great when i eat a TASTY meal and I know it was all animal-free and very good for me too! People ask me what was the hardest thing to give up and it wasn't the giving up of anything that was hard it was the lost of convenience that was hard, I have a HUGE sweet tooth and to lose the ability to go out and have a late night sweet attack in the local store WAS/IS GONE!! Most sweets are made up of milk and eggs! BOOOOOO! But the more I read the better I get at making sure I keep my sweet tooth under control and remember I do HAVE options! Earlier in the week I put together a lovely DINNER and DESSERT for 3! It was so good and SO satisfying to my sweet tooth!

Menu: Mock 'sausage' pasta in red sauce and chocolate-peanut butter brownies

CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BROWNIES

What you'll need . . .

- 1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth & a natural variety -- less sugar -- works best)
- 1/3 cup butter substitute
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup organic, unbleached flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter substitute

Method . . .

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.) Cream together the peanut butter and butter substitute.
3.) Add the sugars and continue creaming.
4.) Add the applesauce & 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and beat until fluffy.
5.) Add the flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and salt.
6.) Fold in the vanilla. Pour into a lightly greased, 9" square pan.
7.) In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate chips and 3 tablespoons butter substitute.
8.) Pour desired amount into the middle of the brownie batter and swirl around with a knife.
9.) Bake for approx. 25 minutes. If the chocolate begins to burn at all, lightly cover with some tin foil. Brownies are finished when a toothpick inserted into them comes out clean.

5 love notes:

JAY-J!™ NGUYEN said...

I still don't understand what's so bad about eating animal products.

love, keys said...

fooood! <3 any food is good food to me damnit!

chelsea rebecca said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS.
after trying and loving your other pasta recipe i can hardly wait to try this one! when is your vegan cook book coming out??? this looks delicious!

Indie.Tea said...

It sounds great...and I hate having to explain your dietary choices to others, only to have them make obnoxious comments...if you are a vegan you are very aware of what you eat, instead of piling processed junk into your body thoughtlessly, I'm sure.

elizabeth said...

Yum!