Friday, June 25, 2010

food for the soul

{Lentil Burgers}

So I seen this DIY Lentil Burgers post on one of my favorite food blogs, From Scratch Emma is just amazing in the kitchen and her new and creative recipes never fail me! One of my favorite things about being a Vegetarian/Vegan is proving people wrong about food, I loving taking a not so Vegan meal and turning it into a Hardy Vegan meal! The particular recipe call for EGGS which I'm not down with lol so with a little research I ended up substituting the EGGS for tofu! Can I just tell you these babies turned out so good!!! I made a dozen and well let's just say, all gone ;) Exavier really loved them too! It's simple, fast, healthy, and yummy!!
Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups uncooked lentils, 1/2 white onion, 1 small jalapeno, 2 eggs tofu (to subsitute 2 eggs 1/4C tofu per egg), 2 slices of whole wheat bread, 1 teaspoon salt, and a dash or two of pepper, cayenne pepper, chile powder and cumin.

what to do:Cook the lentils, but make sure to under cook them just a little so they don't turn to mushy. Chop the onion, slices bread and the jalapeno. In a small bowl combine all the spices and salt. Then in a blender combine the lentils, tofu, onion, jalapeno and half of the spice mix. Blend well but don't "liquefy" it. Pour lentil mixture into a large bowl and combine with the bread crumbs and the rest of the spice mix. Form patties. This will make 10-12 medium burger patties. I also put mine in a pan to grill before serving!

The spirit moved me so I also made dessert! YUM!

{Banana Peanut Butter Oatmeal Muffins}

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggsApple Sauce (1/4C for ea. egg)
1 cup mashed banana (about 3)
6 tbsp peanut butter (creamy)
1 cup buttermilk Almond Dream
anyone wanna come over for dinner..?

6 love notes:

Reggie said...

That looks sooooooo good!!!!!

{irene} said...

wow girl...i have to try those muffins...

jayka :) said...

ME! i need to take notes :)

Kara said...

OMG. Someone was posting about lentil burgers recently and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I am seriously drooling right now.

AngelLove said...

Those burgers look so yummy!!

Elizabeth said...

I sure as well do! wow. DELICIOUS!