Wednesday, February 03, 2010

comfort food 101

I don't need to say it cause I'm sure you all already know, I love cooking, baking and eating lol! It's no secret here! But I haven't admitted that I love food blogs as well, I love finding recipes and trying them out, it's so much fun! Last night for dinner I made POT PIE! OMGosh is there a better comfort food?!? I visit From Scratch daily, although I don't use every recipe I love looking at Emma's yummy food, she also has great ideas on staying green and DIY products! I love it! I have to say for a first time pot pie maker, I mastered it! lol (I'm just being honest) Everything was soft and ever so flavorful. The crust was golden brown, flaky and so yummy!!


DIY Veggie Pot Pie: (for 2)
Do this 1st - The Crust -
What you'll need: 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup butter (cold, soften), 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup cold water.

In a large bowl combine flour and salt. Mix in butter until batter forms (will be flaky). Slowly add in water until dough forms a ball, kneed it and cover in plastic wrap and chill. I put mine in the freezer will I prepared everything else btw I was done the dough was set to go.

The inside: You can pretty much use any veggie you like I basically used everything I had in my fridge. Carrots, fresh peas, corn, baking potatoes, and garlic, onion and sweet peppers to taste.

Chop and cube all vegetables. What I found was the smaller the better! Small cuts of potatoes and carrots, equal better cooking, meaning they will get soft while cooking easier.

In a large sauce pan heat olive oil, garlic, once heated lay in all veggies, continue to mix. In a smaller pan melt butter, slowly add flour, once a gravy is formed pour over veggie mixture. Stir. I added about 1/2 water and 1 cup NON-Chicken broth. Mix and let sit over medium heat till it thickens.

Now your ready to roll out your dough! Separate dough into 3 parts. Roll out two larger half's into a circle and place inside a greased pie pan or bowl. Now take the remaining 3rd part and slit into two, roll each piece into a circle large enough to cover the top of the blow. Now pour vegetable mixture into pie bowl. Lay crust over the top and press to secure edges. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes.

Cool for 20 mins before eating. ENJOY!!

6 love notes:

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

mmmm this looks so ridiculously delicious.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

mmmm this looks so ridiculously delicious.

Elizabeth said...

You need to adopt me asap! i love all your food it looks so yummy and healthy!

KEYS said...

i agree with lizzy!
it loos way toooo good!
you two are cute! aww.

Jessy Taylor said...

I LOVE Emma's blog, actually all of the RVA girls are the cutest!

and another thing I love is POT PIES! I had (a frozen) one for lunch today.

I wish my hubby loves them so that I could make this, but I guess I could make it for myself. Looks SUPER YUMMY.

emma said...

love the cute out heart on top-sooooo cute!!!!